Our History

Our History

Luxulyan Parish Church is dedicated to St Julitta and her son Cyriacus and we celebrate the feast on 16th June each year.

St Julitta and her son Cyriacus were attempting to flee the persecutions of Christians in Iconium in Lycaonica. During her trial the governor lost his temper when St Julitta refused to recant under torture and fractured the skull of St Cyriacus killing him, he was only three years old. St Julitta was then executed. Why a country church in Cornwall is dedicated to these martyrs is unknown.

It has been suggested that the church was founded by St Sulien (feast 2nd September), one of the party of Welsh missionary monks who accompanied St Sampson to Brittany in the sixth century. Like many other Celtic saints, he was said to have been the son of a Welsh King, Brucemail, King of Powys – who had abandoned his heritage for the religious life despite violent parental opposition.  The group who travelled with St Sampson to Brittany crossed Cornwall between the estuaries of the Camel and the Fowey.

A long distance footpath called the Saints Way runs between Padstow and Fowey passing through Luxulyan.  It is reputed to have been the ancient pathway between the two harbours; it is marked by massive granite stiles.

The current church building dates back to the late 1400s, with the tower and the porch being added in the early 1500s.  It is built of local granite.  It is believed that there was an earlier building on the site as the font is norman in date.  Unusually there are carved cats on the underneath of the font.

The church was substantially re-organised in 1875 when pews were placed in the nave and north and south aisles.  There is evidence that there was a rood screen but it is not known when it was removed.

The renowned architect Silvanus Trevail is buried in the churchyard, as is the parents of the founder of the Bible Christian movement.

The church has an A5 booklet available, written by Dr John Rowe, about the history of the Church. It can be purchased from the back of church or by post for £1.50 plus p&p and ordered through our contact page.

We also have postcards of the church, produced for the 1902 commemoration of the re-hanging of the bells, of both inside and outside views of the church for sale. Cost £1.50 each plus p&p.

Church Records

Our baptism, marriage and burial records from prior to the year 2000 are place in the Cornwall Record Office.  There are also many documents that are from the Parish Chest placed in the Record Office. The Cornwall Record office can be contacted at cro@cornwall.gov.uk

War Memorials

Both the World War l and World War ll memorials are situated inside the church.